Discover what to do and see and where to go in Sparwood!
Doing business on BC's other side? Get your info here.
Ours, mine, and yours. The lowdown and highlights on our great community.
Municipal issues, city works, Mayor & Council, and more!

Frequently Asked Questions



Where can I buy a dog licence and how much does it cost?

Dog licences can be purchased at the Main Office at a cost of $10.00 for a spayed or neutered dog and $30.00 for an unaltered dog.

Does the District of Sparwood have sprinkling regulations?
Yes, sprinkling regulations are in effect from June 1 through September 30 each year.  Even numbered addresses are allowed to water on even calendar days and odd numbered addresses are allowed to water on odd calendar days.

Is there public transit in Sparwood and if so what is the schedule?

Yes, BC Transit operates a daily bus from Elkford to Fernie Monday through Friday.  There is also a Health Connections bus running from Elkford to Cranbrook on Wednesdays and Fridays.  This bus provides transportation options and increases your access to non-emergency medical appointments.  Although passengers travelling to medical appointments have priority, everyone is eligible to use this service when space is available.  The current bus schedule can be found at:

Is court held here?
Yes, the Provincial Government leases space from the District.  For a schedule when court is in Sparwood contact Cranbrook Court Services, Room 147, 102-11 Avenue South, Cranbrook, BC V1C 2P3, Telephone 250.426.1234 or Fax 250.426.1352

Where are the cemeteries?
A Sparwood has two cemeteries – Rivercrest Cemetery on Highway 43 and Elk Valley (Michel) Cemetery on Elk Valley Industrial Road 1. The registry and maps are located on our website.

Where are the no shooting areas?
Copies of maps are available at the Main Office or the Recreation Centre or on the Hunting Restrictions page.



How come I cannot pay with VISA?
The District would have to raise taxes and utility fees to cover the service charges for VISA and that is not fair to the taxpayers who do not use VISA.

When are taxes due?
Taxes are due on July 4th of every year. If July 4th falls on a Saturday or Sunday the taxes are due on the first business day following.

What are my tax dollars going to?
Your tax dollars are spent on recreation, administration, road maintenance, snow removal, fire department, animal control, bylaw enforcement, waste management, street and decorative lighting, public health and cemeteries. For a complete breakdown of how tax dollars are spent refer to the Mayor’s annual letter enclosed in with your tax notice.

Can I pay utilities and property taxes on line?
Yes, you can set the District of Sparwood up as a payee in your on line banking and then set up your utility and tax accounts separately.



Where are you located and what are your hours?
We are located at 136 Spruce Avenue, at the Municipal Office | View Map >>>. We are open from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday, excluding Statutory Holidays.

When do I need a building permit?
The District of Sparwood requires all construction in commercial, industrial, residential and mobile home park areas to have a building permit. This includes decks, additions, sheds, and indoor structural renovations but does not include structures smaller than 100 square feet.

I need an application form for ________?
Please see the application forms available online. If you require further assistance please call 250.425.6271.

When can I schedule an appointment with the Building Inspector?
The Building Inspector is in the office every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursdays. Call 250.425.6271 to schedule an inspection.


Public Works

When is the transfer station open?

The transfer station is open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Saturday, closed Sundays and Statutory Holidays.  For fees and charges on Solid Waste, visit the RDEK Website.

Can we get a sewer snake and if so what is the cost?
Yes, our Public Works Department has sewer snakes that are available. Contact the Public Works Department at 250.425.7760.

Does Sparwood have hard water?
Yes, in 2009 the hardness was 283mg/L.  For further details contact the Public Works Department at 250.425.7760.

Does Sparwood chlorinate the water?

What day will my garbage be picked up and how many bags/cans can I put out each week?
Garbage is picked up in Sparwood Heights on Wednesdays. For all other areas in town please see the Transfer Station information or contact the Public Works Department at 250.425.7760. 
You can put out 2 containers and extra garbage tags can be purchased at the Main Office. 

Where are the Recycling drop off locations?
You can drop off your recycling at either Sparwood Heights mini mall, Engelmann Spruce between Public Works and Mainroad, Silver Fox parking lot or the transfer station.

What is the snowplowing schedule?
The snowplowing schedule varies all the time. Contact the Public Works Department at 250.425.7760 for the most current schedule.

When is spring clean up?
The District of Sparwood provides residential spring clean-up usually in April of each year.  The service is limited to one pickup per household with a maximum volume of one ½ ton pick-up truck load.


Recreation and Leisure Services

What do you have to offer?

The Recreation Department has a variety of fitness classes, public swim times, public skating times, children’s programs and other general interest programs to offer.  Please check our weekly newsletter for current programs offered or contact the Recreation Department at 250.425.0552 or email at

What is the pool schedule?
The pool schedule can be found on the Recreation Department weekly newsletter.

What programs do you have for children?
Please contact the Recreation Department for more information on these and other programs offered: Call 250.425.0552.  Email:

When is public skating?
Public skating starts late in September and runs until the ice is out in March.  Public skating times are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7:00 – 8:00 pm and most Sundays from 3:00 – 4:45 pm.

How do I book a birthday party?
Birthday parties are booked through the Concession at 250.425.2622.  They are usually held during public swim times.

How do I become a lifeguard?
There are four steps to becoming a lifeguard.  Bronze Star, Bronze Medallion, Bronze Cross and National Lifeguard Service courses are offered at our Recreation Department throughout the year.  In order to teach Red Cross swim programs you also have to take the Assistant Water Safety Instructor and Water Safety Instructor courses.