Title: Lifeguard/Instructor 2 (Part Time)
Department: Community and Facility Services – Leisure Centre
Reporting to the Director of Community & Facility Services the Lifeguard/Instructor II is responsible for the safe supervision of the public in the aquatics centre. The incumbent supervises and ensures the safety of pool users in accordance with established safety guidelines, performs lifesaving duties including first aid, resuscitation and other emergency revival techniques as required; instructs pool users of various ages in proper water safety, swimming and lifesaving techniques, test and certifies as qualified to various levels of established national swimming/lifesaving standards; leads aqua-fit, lifesaving and other aquatic programs. This individual also conducts day to day maintenance and janitorial duties relating to the pool and surrounding areas such as deck, changing rooms, water chemical and filtration systems, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Monitors aquatic activities, ensures adherence and enforcement of pool rules and safety regulations;
2. Supervises and ensures the safety of pool users in accordance with established safety and health guidelines;
3. Instructs, tests and certifies or assists in the instruction, testing and certification of Red Cross, Lifesaving and other aquatic programs as assigned;
4. Conducts water tests, balances water and makes appropriate adjustments as required;
5. Performs basic maintenance tasks related to the pool, filtration plant and related equipment;
6. Inspects pool and aquatic centre facilities such as change rooms, lockers, etc.; provides custodial/cleaning and minor maintenance service and ensures safety, hygiene and cleanliness standards are maintained;
7. Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of certificates, records, reports, etc. as required or assigned;
8. Provides information to and assists the public with facility & program information; promotes and practices good public relations with user groups, fellow employees and the general public;
9. Provides coverage for office staff as needed or assigned;
10. Acts as the Lead Lifeguard on duty as assigned;
11. Plans, organizes and leads events and instructional classes as assigned;
12. Performs other duties within the aquatic centre as assigned.
Required Knowledge/Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work with the public in a positive and effective manner
• Ability to educate the public on facility rules and affect discipline positively
• Be able to perform labor intensive duties
• Demonstrated ability to be a leader
• Has exceptional customer service skills
(Candidates must hold and maintain)
National Lifesaving Certificate
Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
Standard First Aid or equivalent
CPR Level ‘C’ and AED
Life Saving Instructor
Pool Operator Level I
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2019 hourly wage rate is $27.04/hour as per the current collective agreement.
As part of the interview process, shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in a practical portion of the interview at the District of Sparwood Leisure Centre. Qualified applicants who are offered, and accept, the role may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment Background Check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian Criminal Record check, an Employment Verification and/or an Education and Accreditation Verification and a Clean Drivers Abstract.
This position will remain open until filled.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to:
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood BC, V0B 2G0
Email to: email@example.com