Office Clerk – Public Works
Sparwood is a friendly and welcoming community of about 4,000 people, nestled in the heart of the Elk Valley in the Southeast Kootenays. As an “Active Community” we have great indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, trails and a world class ski hill just 30 minutes away.
The District of Sparwood has an excellent employment opportunity for an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to join the Public Works team in the role of Office Clerk. This individual will be working as part of a cooperative team undertaking a variety of tasks including coordinating and assisting in the administration of public works services.
A comprehensive job description can be found below.
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2020 hourly wage rate is $30.65/hour as per the current collective agreement
As part of the interview process, shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in a practical portion of the interview at the District of Sparwood Public Works Office. Qualified applicants who are offered, and accept, the role may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment Background Check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian Criminal Record check, an Employment Verification and/or an Education and Accreditation Verification and a Clean Drivers Abstract.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by 4 pm, MDT on Friday, September 4, 2020.
HR & Communication Coordinator
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood BC, V0B 2G0
Email to: email@example.com
Office Clerk 1
Director of Operations
CUPE – Regular Full-time
The Public Works Clerk provides general administrative assistance at the Public Works Yard office. The Public Works Clerk coordinates or assists in the administration of public works services, records management, reception, health & safety, etc.
The Public Works Clerk is an effective team member whose contributions assist in the achievement of department and organizational objectives.
The Public Works Department manages the delivery of municipal transportation, environmental (water, wastewater, and waste), parks services; fleet management; the operational aspect of cemetery services; and the care and maintenance of certain municipal facilities. The Department works closely with other municipal departments and provides assistance to them on an as required basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Using discretion handles general inquiries, both internally and externally responding to a high volume of complaints using the knowledge of District standards defined by relevant bylaws, policies and procedures. Where escalation is required forwards complaints to the appropriate supervisor for resolution.
- Receive and process the general Public Works email, voicemail, incoming and outgoing mail, and service requests.
- Monitor and respond to radio communications for Public Works crews and contractors maintaining daily logs as required to track locations, safety and duties performed.
- Service industry coordination with regards to contractors, consultants, sign orders, building maintenance, first aid supplies, coveralls, rentals, fleet and insurance. Maintain office supply inventory within approved budgets.
Clerical & Technical Support
- Assists with use and troubleshooting of office equipment, devices and software such as printers, phone network, radio equipment, fuel management, heating software, MSDS and BC One Calls.
- Performs clerical duties including taking and transcribing minutes, data entry, constructing forms, notices and letters.
- Prints, scans, reads/interprets GIS and AutoCAD maps for internal staff, contractors and residents.
- Completes and forwards provincial and federal government reports and permit on a monthly quarterly and annual basis in respect to environmental regulations of water services, wastewater, and stormwater.
- Conducts research and compiles statistics, initiates and reconciles month end reports, maintains department records.
- Managing and coordinating with utility operators on water and wastewater alarms through Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system (SCADA).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office software including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Receive and track information on problem streetlights for repair and manage BC Hydro SLIM program as required.
- Accept and process water on/off requests, including booking appointments and preparing billing requests.
- Acts as the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee Secretary, organizing meetings and agendas, taking minutes, preparing correspondence and reports and other related duties as require
- Coordinates and reviews department timesheets and schedules for appropriate coding reviewing descriptions, hour allocations, overtime, seniority scheduling, absences and answer employee inquiries regarding vacation balances and sick time.
- Coordinates and maintains records and schedules for personnel such as dues, memberships, certifications, and training logistics including registrations, travel and accommodations.
- Provides first aid coverage including treatment, record keeping, supply inventory and upkeep.
Administrative and Accounting
- Provide administrative and accounting assistance to Director of Operations and supervisors.
- Assists in the overall administration of the District Cemeteries including interments, inventory, marker installation and engraving.
- Process invoices, delivery slips, receipts, online purchasing and maintain petty cash.
- Provide input for modifications or improvements to department bylaws, policies and procedures to improve function and safety of operations.
- Research, edit and generate reports on projects and operations.
- Perform backup functions and other related duties as assigned or required from time to time.
- Attention to detail
- Client/customer focus
- Time management
- Positive attitude
Required Education / Work Experience
- Grade 12 or equivalent with 1-year administrative office certificate or related discipline from a recognized educational institution
- Considerable (minimum 5 years) office administration experience (experience in a Public Works or construction setting would be considered an asset)
- Accurate keyboarding speed of 50 W.P.M.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
Required Skills and Abilities / Work Demands
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, written or verbal communication, organization, time-management, prioritization, computer and keyboarding skills
- Ability to interpret technical documents and government regulations
- Ability to deal with public, contractors and co-workers in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently
- Ability to multi-task and cope effectively under stress with matters requiring urgent attention
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Extended periods of sitting
- Interaction with employees, management, members of Council and the public at large
- Working in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions
Hours of Work
- Monday through Friday. Hours of work will start between 7:00 am and 8:00 am on a 7.5-hour per day schedule, and eligibility for an earned day off schedule.
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2020 hourly wage rate is in accordance with the current collective agreement.