The District of Sparwood is inviting applications for the position of a Preschool Supervisor. Reporting to the Director of Community and Facility Services, the successful applicant will be responsible for overseeing the delivery and implementation of the Learning Tree Preschool program at the Sparwood Leisure Centre.
The successful candidate will have a sound understanding of early childhood development, and be able to effectively foster a safe, fun and inclusive environment. Job duties will include, but are not limited to program planning and delivery, preschool staff training, creating a positive and safe working environment as well as other tasks related to the day to day operations of the preschool. The incumbent must possess previous experience working with children, strong interpersonal and leadership abilities and be comfortable working independently.
For a full job description see below.
This position is a non-union contract employee position and is not incorporated under the Collective Agreement. Hours of work are Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 3:30pm. Hours are based on program registration and may be up to 35 per week from September to the end of June.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by 4:00 pm MDT, on September 9, 2020 to:
HR & Communication Coordinator
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood BC, V0B 2G0
Email to: email@example.com
Director of Community and Facility Services
Non-Union Contract Employee
Community and Facility Services
August 18, 2020
Under the direction of the Director of Community & Facility Services, the Preschool Supervisor oversees the delivery and implementation of the Learning Tree Preschool program at the Sparwood Leisure Centre. The Preschool Supervisor provides exemplary childcare and customer service and has a sound understanding of child development and of children’s needs.
- Working with young children
- Attention to detail
- Critical thinking
- Decision making
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Oversee the efficient and effective day to day operation of the Learning Tree Preschool
- Ensure that the delivery of the program meets the expectations of its clients and the organization
- Ensure that staff, client, and volunteer files are securely stored, and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Monitor the day to day delivery of the programs and maintain or improve quality
- Establish a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Ensure that all staff receive an orientation to the program and that appropriate training is provided
- Ensure program coverage for staff illness and/or required time off
- Sign any incident reports and report to them to the supervisor
- Coordinate purchase of supplies for the program
- Work with support agencies to facilitate learning of children with special needs
- Foster an inclusive and positive leaning environment for children with special needs.
- Cultivates a work environment committed to the health, safety, and wellness of all participants and employees
- Present a professional image
Education and Qualifications
- Criminal record check
- Vulnerable persons check
- Early childhood development certificate an asset
- Behavior management
- Background in program planning and facilitation
- Developmental learning
- Working with children with special needs
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Previous experience working with children
- Previous experience working in a preschool supervisory role is an asset
- Sound understanding of child development and of children’s needs, Early Childhood Education is an asset
- Ability to plan and implement a safe and effective pre-school curriculum
- Strong and effective organizational and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead a team of adults effectively
- Ability to communicate effectively with participants, public and staff
- Self-directed and comfortable working independently
- Ability to maintain facilities supplies and equipment
This position is a non-union contract employee position and is not incorporated under the Collective Agreement. Hours of work are Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. Hours are based on program registration and may be up to 35 per week from September to the end of June.