DISTRICT OF SPARWOOD
Co-op Environmental/Water and Wastewater Technology
The District of Sparwood is accepting applications for an environmental co-op student working towards a career in Water and Wastewater Management, Civil Engineering or GIS that can work a fixed term, full time position, for (2) consecutive 4-month co-op terms beginning mid-April or May 2021. A single 4-month co-op term will be considered if the right candidate is unable to work both terms.
Sparwood is situated in the Rocky Mountains of southeastern BC with an array of outdoor recreational opportunities, which include skiing and snowboarding at nearby Fernie Alpine Resort, hiking, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, stunning vistas, wildlife, and all the fresh elements naturally afforded in a spectacular mountain setting. An Active Living Pass which includes free access to the pool, gym, ice rink, squash and racquetball courts, climbing wall, and some fitness classes is provided to you so you can take advantage of our recreational facilities during your employment.
Under the direction of the Director of Operations the co-op student will work with the utility crew to update current practices and procedures and develop mapping and documents to supplement water and wastewater programs, procedures, and safety protocols.
Principal job responsibilities will be:
- Research and further advance water and wastewater practices, procedures, and contingency plans to support and improve daily operation services
- Collect GPS data points to apply to Arc GIS Pro and develop field maps for municipal operations and assist with database maintenance
- Create excel spreadsheets designed for ongoing reports and environmental monitoring of municipal services
- Research new applications, advancements, or potential system enhancements in support of future requirements
- The student will gain experience and knowledge on the processes involved in water distribution, sewer and storm collection and secondary wastewater treatment plant operation
- The student will gain knowledge on SCADA systems and develop reference sheets and create operator manuals
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Proficient in Excel and Word
- Knowledge and experience with Arc GIS Pro and AutoCAD
- Ability to operate GPS and build layers in Arc GIS Pro
- Detail oriented, organized with strong technical report writing skills
- Knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices
- Knowledge of water and wastewater facilities would be considered an asset
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Ability to work independently, with limited supervision as well as part of a team
- High level of integrity and work ethic
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- Attention to Detail
- Innovative and Creative
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Extended periods of sitting
- GPS Data collection
- Work with Utilities Crew to collect data
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
Wages, benefits, and conditions of employment are governed by the current collective agreement with CUPE Local 2698.
The pay rates are as follows:
1st year of studies completed - $19.36/hr.
2nd year of studies completed - $20.93/hr.
3rd year of studies completed - $21.97/hr.
Please send cover letter, resume and transcript by March 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm mountain time to:
HR & Communications Coordinator
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood, BC V0B 2G0