Cashier (Casual, On-Call)
Sparwood is a friendly and welcoming community of about 4,000 people, nestled in the heart of the Elk Valley in the Southeast Kootenays. As an “Active Community” we have great indoor and outdoor recreation facilities, trails, and a world class ski hill just 30 minutes away.
The District of Sparwood has an excellent employment opportunity for an enthusiastic, highly motivated individual to join the Leisure Services team in the role of casual, on-call Cashier. Reporting to the Director of Community & Facility Services the casual, on-call Cashier undertakes general office, clerical, and cashiering duties at the Sparwood Leisure Centre. They complete program registrations and facility bookings; receive cash payments for facility use and admissions, processes deposits and cash reports; prepare and assists with the development of advertising and promotional materials. The casual, on-call Cashier provides exemplary customer service and is well versed in facility policies, procedures, programs, and events.
A comprehensive job description can be found below.
This position is a unionized position under CUPE local 2698. The 2021 hourly wage rate is $27.45 As part of the interview process, shortlisted candidates will be required to participate in a practical portion of the interview at the District of Sparwood Leisure Centre. Qualified applicants who are offered and accept the role may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment Background Check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian Criminal Record check, an Employment Verification and/or an Education and Accreditation Verification.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter by Wednesday, April 7th, 2021 at 4:00 PM MST to:
HR & Communications Coordinator
District of Sparwood
Box 520, 136 Spruce Avenue
Sparwood BC, V0B 2G0
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cashier, Casual On-Call
Director of Community and Facility Services
CUPE – Casual On-Call
Community and Facility Services
Reporting to the Director of Community & Facility Services the casual, on-call Cashier undertakes general office, clerical, and cashiering duties at the Sparwood Leisure Centre. They complete program registrations and facility bookings; receive cash payments for facility use and admissions, processes deposits and cash reports; prepare and assists with the development of advertising and promotional materials. The casual, on-call Cashier provides exemplary customer service and is well versed in facility policies, procedures, programs, and events.
- Critical thinking
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Performs receptionist duties including answering and responding to telephone and/or in person inquiries
- Processes facility bookings and/or cancellations
- Registers participants into programs
- Receives admissions/user payments
- Processes daily deposits, cash reports and reconciliations
- Maintains and updates website, social media and electronic sign
- Prepares correspondence, maintains spread sheets and databases etc.
- Maintains accurate records and prepares reports
- Develops, edits, proofreads and maintains promotional materials
- Prepares and assists with the set-up of programs, and facilities using recreation software
- Fills in for regular office staff in the event of illness, training or holidays
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Grade 12 supplemented by relevant business/commercial/accounting courses and experience
- Certificates in MS Word, Excel, Office
- Communications Certificate
- Working knowledge of recreation software
- Working knowledge of online web page editing programs
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications
- Ability to perform basic accounting functions
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to deal with the public in person and by telephone in a courteous and effective manner
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn and gain proficiency in the use and operation of computer based programs
- Willingness to learn and take on added responsibilities
- Available for various shifts including weekdays, evenings and weekends.
- Casual on call hours Monday through Sunday between 7:00 am and 9:00 pm with some scheduled hours on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays
- Interaction with employees, management, and the public at large
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Extended periods of standing