Impacts of Tracked Coal into Sparwood

We want to hear from YOU!

Impacts of Tracked Coal into Sparwood

As a community our vision statement is “A progressive, welcoming and livable community that takes pride in its natural resources and environment.”
We are witnessing more and more trucks coming into Sparwood who are failing to properly clean their vehicles before leaving the mine site and as a result, the community is seeing deposits of coal left behind on our roads, private driveways and parking lots. These deposits impact our Public Works maintenance operations and as they dry out, they are being tracked into our public spaces and become windborne dust that blows into homes and businesses. Coal that is deposited on roads and driveways also ends up entering the aquatic ecosystems through stormwater runoff, which can impact aquatic life in our creeks and rivers – the very things we hold dear and value as residents in this beautiful valley. It is important that ALL vehicles leaving mine sites remove all coal and other materials that can potentially fall from a vehicle.

Is your vehicle carrying coal on the undercarriage when you leave the mine site?
It is your responsibility to comply with municipal bylaws, and that means that you must ensure that your vehicle does not track coal from the mine into the community. Please wash your vehicle(s) to remove all coal from the vehicle prior to leaving the mine site. Failing to do so may result in vehicle owners, operators or companies receiving a fine, ranging between $100 and $500 per infraction, under the Litter Control Bylaw, the Traffic, Parking, and Highways Regulation Bylaw, or the Unsightly Premises Bylaw.

The District of Sparwood acknowledges that Teck is working cooperatively with the District to address this issue.

Have you seen a problem vehicle?
If you observe a vehicle dropping coal debris or other materials, the District requests that you take a picture of the vehicle, including the licence plate, and forward it to the District of Sparwood along with your name and contact information and the date, time and location of offence. The complaint information you provide
will be treated as confidential and used to help District staff to take appropriate action with the vehicle owner, operator and/or the mining or mining support company. Complaint information can be submitted electronically to or online at, or it can be dropped
off at the District Office (or mailed) at 136 Spruce Avenue, Box 520, Sparwood, BC V0B 2G0.
For more information on your responsibilities or what to include in your complaint, please contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at 250.425.6820 or by email at