I’ve lost my pet, what should I do?

If you've lost a pet, please call the Animal Control Officer at 250.425.7718 right away or online through our Service Request Form and input all details into our system including your pet's characteristics, and when and where it was lost.  When we receive reports of strays, we can cross reference the information you provided to see whether it's your lost pet that has been reported. 

In accordance with the Animal Control Bylaw, an officer may capture and take into his custody any animal found at large within the District. Animals that are not claimed by owners are assessed, and if suitable, placed for adoption. Dog licences are the fastest way to reunite you with your lost dog.

What else can I do?
  • Check the Fernie Pets Society website for lost and found pet listings
  • Check with your neighbours to see if they have seen your pet
  • If your pet is micro-chipped, verify your contact information with the microchip company
  • Post flyers in your neighbourhood
What do I do if I find a lost pet?
  • Call the Animal Control Officer at 250.425.7718 if you find a dog or cat away from home.  Report the animal even if it has an identification or licence tag, as it may be expired.
  • Check with your neighbours to see if they are missing a pet.
  • Post flyers in your neighbourhood and alert neighbours to help spread the word.
Can I surrender my pet to the District?

Pet owners are responsible for re-homing any unwanted pets as the District’s pound is for impounding stray animals. 

Cats, dogs and other animals that are found will be kept at the Municipal Animal Pound located at 501 Engelmann Spruce Drive.  

  • If the animal remains unclaimed after 144 hours (6 days), the animal will become available for adoption and the highest offer will be accepted.  In the event that the animal is not adopted, the Animal Control Officer shall dispose of the animal in the most humane way possible.  It is the District’s aim to place any unclaimed animals with a suitable family or organization.  The District will only euthanize an animal as a last resort after all other options have been exhausted.

  • Call the Animal Control Officer at 250.425.7718 or report it online if you see a dog that has wandered from their home or you have picked one up.

Adopting an animal can be a rewarding experience.

Bringing your loved ones home
Claiming Your Pet