The Official Community Plan is a comprehensive plan that guides the overall future of the District and provides a broad framework for managing future change.
Sparwood is a community in southeastern British Columbia with a rich mining and forestry heritage that has formed its unique identity and aesthetic. The rural nature of the area is complemented by its friendly, welcoming residents and mountain setting.
In 2035, Sparwood will be a caring, neighbourly and sustainable community with pride in our natural environment. A unique and vibrant downtown will be the social, cultural and economic heart of our community, with opportunities to live, work, learn, shop, and play in close proximity. A diverse economy will provide a range of jobs and services to supplement the mining industry, which will continue to be our economic lifeblood. A diversity of housing options will allow residents with a range of ages, income levels and lifestyles to live comfortably in Sparwood through all stages of their lives. A world-class multi-purpose network of trails, parks, and recreational areas will support an active, healthy, and highly livable community.
To achieve this vision, Sparwood has set the following goals to guide implementation of this Official Community Plan (OCP):
- Promote compact development and mixed use as the means to achieve a walkable community that provides efficient and sustainable infrastructure, minimizing negative impacts on the environment.
- Enhance the downtown by promoting high quality design and construction that reinforces Sparwood’s unique sense of place and become the social, cultural, and economic centre of the community with opportunities to live, work, learn, shop, and play.
- Support a diverse economy that provides a wide range of jobs and services to supplement the mining industry.
- Protect, manage and enhance rural, agricultural and forestry lands, balancing competing interests.
- Encourage, promote, and celebrate local heritage, culture, and arts.
- Encourage the provision of diverse housing options that allow residents with a range of ages, income levels, and lifestyles to live comfortably in the community through all stages of their lives.
- Support a healthy, safe and engaged community through social development, community services and civic engagement.
- Provide and manage infrastructure and services, including potable water, sewage, stormwater and roads in a cost effective and sustainable manner.
- Provide a safe and efficient multi-modal transportation system that balances vehicular traffic with active transportation.
- Encourage an active and healthy community through the development, maintenance, and enhancement of high-quality parks, passive and active recreational facilities and programs, and active transportation infrastructure.
- Promote environmental conservation best practices.
- Protect sand and gravel resource extraction areas in the community.
- Provide flexibility in land use to promote business development and diversification.